Red Deer & Blackfalds Web Design Writes:
Finding a good Text Editor for writing code can be a challenge depending on what type of purpose you need it for. My personal preference is to keep thing simple and go with Notepad++ given its simple layout and broad range of features (some of which listed below) to help maximize your ability to write clean code and cut down on development time.
- Using FTP Connections – Any developer/designer knows that for a Text Editor to function properly you want to be able to view files on a server, make edits, make copys, and of course create additional files that are edited and loaded right to the server. With Notepad++ this can be accomplished using the following sequence:
- Select: Plugins > NppFTP > Show NppFTP Window
- A window will open on the left side of the screen, and now select: Gear Symbol > Profile Settings > Add New
- Simply enter in your Hostname, Username, and Password, hit Enter, and you will now have access to the files on your server for editing, copying and rewriting.
***Profiles also are saved on your software by clicking the Connection button you will be offered a drop-down of choices for future use
- Custom Layout – Everyone has the right to be a little bit picky when it comes to your editing screen (seeing as you might be staring at it all day!) and therefore you are going to want to pick fonts/sizes/colours that are comfortable for your eyes. This can be customized by doing the following:
- Select: Settings > Style Configurator
- Select the individual language you want to edit, OR, use the Global Override principle to change fonts, colours and sizes for all languages
- Be sure to play around with the Preset Themes located at the top of the pop-up screen to see if any of their preset colour options work for you
***My personal preference is Bespin
Here’s a Tip!
Having a hard time with your Style Configuration staying when you exit out, and enter Notepad++ again? Make sure you right-click on the Notepad++ symbol, select “Run As Administrator” and make your Global Style Edits in this window!